The history of the Auxiliary to Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War is closely associated with the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), which was founded in 1866, and the Allied Orders of the GAR, which were later formed to continue its work. GAR Post 94 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania created a Cadet Corps in 1878, which later became the Sons of Veterans. Similar units were organized throughout many neighboring states. In 1882 the first session of the Commandery-inChief, Sons of Veterans was held at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
In later years, the name was changed to Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. The need for an Auxiliary was soon recognized and through the efforts of Major A. P. Davis, the first Ladies Aid Society was organized at Philadelphia in 1883 and in the following year was officially recognized as their Auxiliary.
Ladies Aid Societies were formed in several states in rapid succession and in 1886 plans for a National Organization were formed, with the first National Encampment being held in Akron, Ohio in September 1887. In 1904 at the National Encampment in Boston, Massachusetts the name was changed to “Sons of Veterans’ Auxiliary”, with it eventually becoming known as the Auxiliary to Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.